http://www.galapagostravelplanner.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/galap-penguin-for-blog.jpg 244 730 Martha Crowley http://www.galapagostravelplanner.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/logo15-300x104.png Martha Crowley2015-09-10 00:01:292016-09-12 00:36:48Galapagos Islands in September
To read an updated version of this article click here.
We take a look at what’s going on in the Galapagos Islands during the month of September.
- September is the start of the breeding season for sea lions so you’ll be sure to see a lot of sea lion activity – males can often be observed aggressively patrolling their territories (be sure to keep well out of their way!)
- Penguins are also very visible during this month: it’s a great time to spot and even snorkel with them, particularly on Bartolome Island
- The cooler waters at this time of year means lots of potential whale sightings
- September sees the lowest rainfall of the year, while temperatures are comfortable (18-24°C) – ideal for walking
- Waters can be choppy in September, so if you’re prone to sea-sickness a land-based tour is recommended
- September and October are low season, meaning you can find some great deals on tours and cruises, and tourist numbers are generally lower
Photo credit: Flickr/Benjamin Jakabek