In this month’s Traveler Spotlight – where we interview tourists about their experiences of visiting the Galapagos Islands – we spoke to Susana Cueva, who visited the islands by combining a cruise with a hotel-based stay.
- What type of trip did you go on in the Galapagos? I took a four-day cruise and also stayed independently on San Cristobal Island.
- What yacht did you choose for your cruise? The yacht was called Amigo, it was a tourist-class boat. It was a wooden-hulled boat and a little old, but the service made up for it. The chef was excellent and the food was varied and delicious. The staff were very friendly.
- How long did you stay for? I spent four days on the cruise, and two weeks staying on San Cristobal.
- Which islands did you visit? Santa Cruz, Floreana, Española and San Cristobal.
- What was your favourite experience on the islands? The best part for me was seeing the animals, who are so friendly with humans. It was wonderful to see so many species that are unique to the islands.
- Would you have done anything differently? I would have loved to have gone diving!
- What advice would you give to people planning to take a trip to the Galapagos islands? Take a great camera with you! Make sure you organize your trip well in order to make the most of your time on the islands. I think to make the most of your time, it’s best to take a cruise. Also, make sure you have extra money on you – things are more expensive in the islands than in mainland Ecuador.
Photo credit: Waved Albatrosses on Española Island Flickr/Island Conservation